Saturday, September 01, 2007

August 29, 2007: Creamy roasted cauliflower and artichoke soup


With Cindy's ongoing tooth problems, we needed at least one more delicious soup to get us through the week. Cindy spent the morning poking around the Internet and came up with this winner from Pinch My Salt. I won't reproduce the recipe in full as I basically followed Nicole's recipe to the letter, with the laziness-inspired exception of canned artichoke hearts taking the place of the real thing. The process of roasting the cauliflower was pretty time-consuming, especially as the house filled with delicious roasting smells, increasing our impatience for the meal.

Luckily, it was worth the wait - the mix of roast cauliflower, lemon zest and artichokes created a rich and tasty treat. It was quite similar to our previous cauliflower soup, but a little lighter and healthier. I think roasting the cauliflower first was a nice touch as well. Cindy tasted a hint of cheese, which was a little odd given the lack of any cheese in the mix, while I was more enamoured of the little bursts of flavour that the lemon zest added. The artichokes didn't create a huge impression, but I guess that's what you get for using canned produce. I'd say that this soup was the success of our wisdom-teeth imposed week of runny food - certainly one to try again in the future.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious.
    Talk about going on "the list"...With autumn around the corner up here in my neck of the woods this is sure to comfort.
    Speaking of which, I hope you're on the mend and back to celery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it, Dayna! Thanks for the well wishes, I am almost back to full health now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you manage to make it for your Sunday lunch? Look forward to hearing about it. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truffle, I decided to postpone the special lunch for two weeks to make sure I'm able to enjoy it fully - you'll definitely see a blog post then! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad you made this soup! I only made it the one time but it was really really good! Reading your post makes me want to make it again soon...thanks for the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole! Glad you stopped by - this recipe will definitely be repeated in this house, though I might wait a month or two before eating any more soup. :-)

    ReplyDelete