Sunday, October 07, 2007

September 22, 2007: Sweet Source

Update, 27/1/2019: Sweet Source has closed.

On Saturday we rode (and walked) our bikes to the markets in the morning, and still Michael and I wanted to soak up those last few rays of spring sunshine in the afternoon. So off to the park with books and a blanket we went. Trouble is, there was a little rumble in my stomach and Sweet Source in our direct path. It's difficult to believe that we've lived so close to Sweet Source for the past year and I've not visited since our first weekend. Even their attempt at serving me a beef pie shouldn't have put me off that long! The tiers of cupcakes in all shades of pastel are a little twee, but there's no denying the delicious looks of their sweet and savoury baked goods.

I picked out a slice of ruby grapefruit frangipane tart ($5) and it proved to be a winner. The almond frangipani is sweet and cloud-like and there's a shiny glaze on top, but what makes this tart a real gem is the genuinely bitter grapefruit segments that bring it back to earth. Sweet Source's sugar and spice are nice enough, but it's that grapefruit edge that impresses me more.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy, I might try it with Quince instead of grapefruit. I do the same with with a blood plum tart, but before the frangipane I put raspberry and white peach jam, then the fran then the blood plums then slivered almonds on top for crunch, it's been awhile since I made one but once the plums are in season, look out!! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vida, you sure sound like you know your way around a good frangipane tart! I'm salivating at all those suggestions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not just tarts darl, ANY cake will do... I just love sweets... P.S. I posted the recipe for the Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar. Vida x

    ReplyDelete